Ph.D. Program Requirements
University & College Requirements
- A minimum of 24 credits in dissertation research.
- Residency requirement of 2 consecutive semesters of 6 credits each semester, (3 semesters, total of 18 credits if the student does not have an M.S. degree).
- All requirements must be completed within 8 years.
- A program of study determined by the student’s Guidance Committee.
- Original research leading to a dissertation.
- A grade point average of 3.0 must be maintained. Accumulation of grades below 3.0 in more than three required courses of three or more credits each, or deferrals in more than three courses of 3 or more credits each at any given time, or a combination of the above in excess of four courses automatically removes the student from candidacy for the degree.
In addition to University and College requirements:
- At least 6 credits of two regularly scheduled 800 level courses in biology are required.
- A minimum of 4 semesters of at least one-half time of supervised teaching, research, or other university service. The specific requirements are to be determined by the student’s Guidance Committee. Students should expect to complete all Ph.D. requirements in no more than 5 years.
- The Comprehensive Examination is to be taken no later than the end of the first semester of the second calendar year after completing the Master’s degree or the end of the first semester of the third calendar year from the time of the student’s first enrollment at MSU, if he/she did not enter with an M.S. and is working directly toward the doctoral degree.