Academic FAQs

What majors does the Department of Integrative Biology offer?

We offer the following undergraduate degrees:

Learn more details about the majors.

How do I decide which department major is right for me?

There is no absolute answer. Decisions about your courses and your future are determined by who you are as an individual: what your career goals and interests are. Compare the degrees by carefully reading the course descriptions for each major of interest. Each course contributes different information to that major. Take some IBIO courses and keep investigating careers.

Why are there degrees in Zoology and Integrative Biology?

Many undergraduates want a B.S. in Zoology, and we will continue to offer this degree with its different concentrations. Students preparing to pursue a professional degree, as well as other students interested in biology, may find the B.S. in Integrative Biology more attractive.

What is the difference between a degree in Integrative Biology and Zoology?

Degree in Zoology: Defined classic zoological “subjects” including ecology, animal behavior, marine biology, and zoo & aquarium science.

Degree in Integrative Biology:

  • Use of multidisciplinary course options
  • Offer wide diverse courses from other departments
  • Allow incorporation of “outside” programs within the degree or as a parallel Internship less specific and broader (e.g., water quality lab at BEO vs. aquatic wildlife at DNR)

I really would prefer a B.S. in Integrative Biology. Can I switch to that major instead?

Yes, you can switch to that major.

I cannot decide between the B.S. in Environmental Biology-Zoology and the B.S. in Zoology.

You can declare either degree and still keep your options open. Check the requirements for the B.S. in Environmental Biology-Zoology, and include some of those courses (such as CSS 210) alongside the courses for the B.S. Zoology concentration you are interested in.

Couldn't find your answer? Contact an Integrative Biology academic advisor