African Safari Wildlife Park Seasonal Keeper
Animal Care Responsibilities - may include but are not limited to:
- Cleaning stalls, barns, outlaying animal pens
- Maintaining a clean and safe working environment
- Raking halls
- Driving Tractors (after trained and comfortable on a tractor)
- Unloading hay
- Animal Record Keeping/Documentation
- Will prepare animal diets as prescribed and deliver daily diets to assigned species
- Will provide fresh water daily
- Will clean and maintain indoor and outdoor animal exhibit areas on a daily basis or as determined by management. Will ensure animal containment at all times.
- Will comply with all safety procedures including the use of Lock Out/Tag Out when entering or leaving exhibit areas.
- Will observe and monitor the health status of each individual animal on a daily basis or more often as determined by veterinarian, or General Manager.
- Will perform daily and regular inspections of assigned area to ensure animal containment and keeper safety. All safety or exhibit concerns will be reported to the General Manager. May accompany maintenance staff on inspection tours.
- May assist the Veterinarian in medical procedures as needed. May provide medical care as designed by the Veterinarian or General Manager.
- Responsible for becoming familiar with the husbandry guidelines for assigned species. Becomes knowledgeable for assigned species’ behaviors, including breeding, socialization, parenting, etc.
- Will attend and contribute to keeper meetings.
- Will assist other departments during special events, after hours events, conference center bookings, and other programs.
- May occasionally work off-site for an individual or company other than ASWP. If and when this occurs, policy and procedures are in place that ensures all laws are met and the employee is properly compensated.
- May require use of private vehicle on occasion.
- Assist Drive-Thru Rangers in keeping animals/moving animals into proper sections
- Assist with camel rides if needed (could entail walking camels and or loading camels, cash management, etc).
- Present a friendly, courteous and helpful demeanor to all guests at all times
- Wave to all guests and staff
- Make sure guests and animals are safe and following all park rules and guidelines while enjoying their park experience
Ranger Drive-Thru Guest Relations Responsibilities - may include but are not limited to:
- Follow USDA guidelines
- Be aware of all animals and cars in your section
- Keep all animals away from front gate (area where cars enter the Drive-Thru Safari)
- Enforce no animal feeding until designated feeding areas
- Assist in forming 2 lanes of traffic when needed
- Maintain flow of traffic
- Check perimeter fence throughout the compound for weak spots/damage.
- Pick up cups and debris in the compound
- Inspect and clean off all signs throughout the compound
- May be asked to work “Giraffe Duty” – monitoring Guest and Giraffe feeding interactions, selling Giraffe feed
EdZOOcation Programs and HogWILD Experience Responsibilities - may include but are not limited to:
- Will be required to do show performances as needed
- Responsible for the memorization and implementation of educational programs, on and off site, for all ages.
- Responsible to hold up mission and goals of ASWP in all educational programs.
- Can network with other educators, research to continue to enhance and improve the quality of programming offered.
- Will comply with all AZA/ZAA guidelines and safety recommendations in the use of program animals.
- Will read and memorize animal fact sheets.
- Keep all education equipment working and in good repair
- Ensure accuracy in Staff announcing Shows and scripts are being followed as outlined by Main Office
- Keeps Sound Equipment working and trains staff on using
- Maintenance, cleaning, feeding, and transportation of all Education and HogWILD animals
Misc Animal-Related Zoo Operations Responsibilities- may include but are not limited to:
- Front Gate/Back Gate:
- Make sure guests are safe and know all park rules and guidelines while enjoying their visit
- Follow USDA Guidelines
- Be aware of all animal and cars around your section
- Basic Cash and Credit transactions, preparation of animal feed cups for Guests upon orders
- Sell animal feed to guests and handle money and inventory
- Capable of initiating cleaning, organization and additional extra duties during slow times
- Delivery and organization of produce to the Front Gate or Back Gate for other employees as needed
- Monitoring and performing the Porcupine Feeding experience with Guests – knowing facts about the animals and being able to confidently and politely detail to Guests. Making sure safety is the first priority and that Guests are following the rules of the experience.
- Monitoring and performing the Kangaroo Feeding experience with Guests– knowing facts about the animals and being able to confidently and politely detail to Guests. Making sure safety is the first priority and that Guests are following the rules of the experience.
- Monitoring and performing the Tortoise Feeding experience– knowing facts about the animals and being able to confidently and politely detail to Guests. Making sure safety is the first priority and that Guests are following the rules of the experience.
- Making parakeet/“budgie” feed sticks for Aviary Adventure exhibit, restocking of vending machine as needed, cleaning the Aviary Adventure exhibit as needed
- Preparing diets/portions for Zoo-It-All animal experiences, delivering food to Zoo-It-All Station
Necessary Skills for all Positions:
- Must be comfortable operating farm equipment, does not require past experience as training will be a part of the job
- Will present a friendly, courteous and helpful demeanor to all guests at all times
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a Team Member
- Excellent guest service skills: ability to adhere to Companies Guest Service Standards
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must be a team player
- Must be safety conscious
- Will present a friendly, courteous, helpful demeanor to all guest at all times.
- Have a valid Driver’s License
- Certain jobs may require you to access confined areas, climb ladders, lift or carry items up to 50lbs, escort or guide people or animals, perform overhead or ground level duties, etc.
- Be able to stand for long periods of time up to 8 hours, (Excluding Breaks)
- Be able to work in adverse weather conditions
*Nothing in this job description restricts the management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities on this job at any time.*
Those interested in applying for IAE Intern or Seasonal Zoo Keeper at African Safari Wildlife Park can visit this link to apply online: https://africansafariwildlifepark.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=21.
Write “Seasonal Zoo Keeper” for the application question “Position most interested in/applying for”.