Potter Park Zoo Education Internships
The Potter Park Zoo Education Department is offering a limited number of unpaid full-time (40 hours) and part-time (20+ hours) internships. The Education Internship provides a practical learning experience and knowledge of zoo operations and informal conservation education in a zoological setting.
Interns will be trained in the handling, training, and presentation of Ambassador Animals, including reptiles, small mammals, birds, and invertebrates.
Developing programs and/or activities under the guidance of education department staff, to be implemented by interns in conjunction with Nature Play, community engagement programs, special events, and/or summer camp.
Once trained, interns will be able to present animal ambassador programs on and off grounds
Assist in the daily operation of the education department, including school group check-in, on-going projects, set-up, clean-up, and other duties as assigned.
Summer interns will also work with our summer camp, providing lunch and extended care supervision (these hours would be paid), and additional support as needed.
- Students who are currently pursuing a degree in zoology, biology, education, environmental education or related field.
Students who recently graduated from a post-secondary college or university.
Have excellent communication skills and enjoy working with people of all ages.
Must be self-motivated, energetic, adaptable, and be able to work on a team.
- Hours will generally be during the week, with some required weekend and evening special events/programs.
- This is an unpaid internship. College credit is available; the intern is responsible for obtaining the necessary paperwork and approval from their university.
Interns are also encouraged to take the spring Docent Class. If accepted for an internship, more information regarding the class will be provided.
- fill out an application go to https://potterparkzoo.org/internships/.
- After filling out the online application, send resume and cover letter electronically to email@example.com or by mail to the address below.
Attn: Jennifer Horvatin
Assistant Education Curator Potter Park Zoo
1301 South Pennsylvania Avenue Lansing, MI 48912
Potter Park Zoo is an AZA-accredited zoo in Lansing, MI.
Our Mission: Inspiring conservation of animals and the natural world.