Zookambi Lead Teacher
The Potter Park Zoo Education Department has two full-time openings for Zookambi Summer Camp Lead Teachers. Lead Teachers work with Education Department staff to plan and deliver summer camp programming for a variety of age groups on a variety of zoo animal-related topics. Duties and tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Develop age-appropriate lesson plans relevant to the class topic. These should include hands-on activities, excursions on zoo grounds, and games/Nature Play.
- Manage camper behavior and communicate with parents if behavior issues arise.
- Make sure supplies and materials for activities/projects are on hand or ordered by staff in a timely manner.
- Maintain a tidy class space and storage room.
- Be responsible for the health, safety, and well-being of campers, including adhering to all health and safety protocols at all times. Staff is required to wear a mask at all times.
- Evaluate and provide feedback for intern-led lessons.
- Attend any meetings, workdays, or staff development as required.
- Experience working with children in an education setting. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in informal education or at a zoo or nature center.
- Have excellent communication skills and a positive, friendly attitude.
- Must be self-motivated, energetic, adaptable, and be able to work on a team.
- Must be able to work inside and outside and able to tolerate summer weather conditions, most notably heat and humidity.
- Must be available for work June 7- August 6.
- Must pass a background check.
- Hours will generally be 8:00 AM-4:30 PM during the week, with a 30-minute lunch break.
- The pay rate is $14 per hour. Uniform shirts are provided.
- Lead Teachers are paid for up to 80 hours of prep time, to be used at their discretion.
- First Aid/CPR certification required. Will train if needed.
Potter Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter electronically to:email@example.com